When you decide to buy a web hosting plan one of the first things to be considered is the appropriate operating system. Linux and Windows are two major contenders here. Both OS have their own share of pros and cons. While Linux is open software the Windows platform is required to support specific applications. Besides, Windows enjoys a wide popularity across the corporate world. But how does it fare when it comes to web hosting arena? Which OS is more powerful and dynamic?
Importance of Operating System while buying a web hosting package
OS or operating system plays a major role in defining the way you will interact with your system. Hence, it has a vital role to play when it comes to the quality of web hosting ad purpose specific benefits that align with your objectives, business, and budget. The two major players in the field of OS are Linux and Windows.
Different OS are required to support different applications
Certain applications are only supported by specific Operating System. For example, if you are a beginner and want to enjoy the easy and simple interface of cPanel then you will have to choose Linux OS as cPanel is specifically designed for Linux. Likewise, there are some proprietary software and applications that can only be supported by Windows OS.
Linux Vs Windows: Applications
Due to their specific structure, features and capabilities Linux and Windows platforms are used for supporting specific applications. So, if your website is using any of the below-mentioned applications then you need to go to the specific platform that supports these applications.
You have to purchase windows hosting packages if your website uses any or multiple applications as mentioned below:
- ASP Classic
- MS Access
- Remote Desktop (for the dedicated server)
- Visual Basic Development
- MSSQL (Microsoft SQL Server)
Likewise, you need to buy Linux based server if your site uses any of the two applications:
- Scripts or applications that require specific Apache modules
There are distinct differences between Windows servers and Linux server when it comes to Control Panels
- You can enjoy an easy and more capable control panel promised by Linux hosting packages with cPanel. It is the simplest and most user-friendly control panel that perfectly combines ease of use with extended features for advanced control. Whether you go for Linux shared hosting or buy Linux Dedicated servers you will be offered cPanel for admin control and management.
- If you buy windows hosting package (shared as well as the dedicated plan) you will be offered the Plesk control panel. Though pretty easy to use this control panel lags behind cPanel when it comes to extended controls and customization.
The File names also behave differently on Linux server and windows server. On Linux server the file names are case sensitive while on the windows server you are free to use any letter case while typing the file name.
- MyBusiness.HTML and MYBUSINESS.HTML are treated as two different names on Linux Server
- MyBusiness.HTML, MYBUSINESS.HTML, and MyBusiness.HTML are treated as the same name on a Windows server.
As far as the security is concerned it has more to do with the setup/administrations specifications as well as fair practices employed by your service provider. However, a widely held belief is that due to constant upgrading the Linux is able to offer the best solution against latest security threats.